Jennifer Kawwass, MD
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility
Emory Reproductive Center
Office: Emory Reproductive Center, Emory University Hospital Midtown, Medical Office Tower, 18th Floor
Education and Training
Medical Education: University of Virginia School of Medicine, MD, 2007
Residency: Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2011
Fellowship: Emory University School of Medicine, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, 2014
• American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2013
• American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, 2016
Areas of Interest
• Infertility, in vitro fertilization (IVF), fertility preservation (egg and embryo cryopreservation), donor egg IVF
• Stress-induced amenorrhea, premature ovarian failure, polycystic ovarian disease, fertility treatment for same sex couples
• Laparoscopic and hysteroscopic reproductive surgery
Awards and Honors
• Excellence in Teaching: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, 2016
• CREST Scholar, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Duke University, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, 2015-2016
• Outstanding Research by a Fellow, Emory University School of Medicine, 2014
• Outstanding Research Proposal by a Fellow, Emory University School of Medicine, 2012
• Special Resident in Minimally Invasive Gynecology awarded by Emory University School of Medicine, sponsored by AAGL, 2011
• Chief Administrative Resident, Emory University School of Medicine Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2010-2011
• Apple Teaching Award, Emory University School of Medicine Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2008-2012
• 3rd place, Resident Research Day, Emory University School of Medicine Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2008
• Medical Alumni Association Outstanding Student Award, University of Virginia School of Medicine, 2007
Media and Publicity
• December 2016: Interviewed regarding research on embryo donation by MedicalResearch.com.
• April 2016: Interviewed regarding how advances in IVF have contributed to decreasing rates of triplet births by HealthDay.
• March 2016: Interviewed regarding egg freezing by SELF Magazine.
• October 2015: Interviewed regarding app that claims it promotes conception by Wired.
• May 2015: Interviewed regarding first-author JAMA paper on safety of assisted reproductive technologies in the United States by Ivanhoe Broadcast News. Video | Full interview
• January 2015: Interviewed regarding first-author JAMA paper on safety of assisted reproductive technologies in the United States by the Associated Press and Reuters; stories published on more than 200 online news sources.
• May 2014: Interviewed regarding study examining long-term maternal mental health by Medscape
• December 2013: Interviewed regarding study showing that fertility drugs, rather than IVF cycles, are responsible for multiple births by CNN, Medscape, First Report Managed Care
• November 2013: Interviewed regarding first-author JAMA paper on donor egg cycles and outcomes as well as the egg donation process by Women’s Health Magazine
• October 2013: Interviewed regarding first-author JAMA paper on donor egg cycles and outcomes by CNN, Medscape, Associated Press, Reuters Health, MedicalResearch.com, USA Today, ABC News, Two Minute Medicine, Fertaid.com, Health Day. The story was published on over 90 news sources including ABC News, Fox News, CBS News, The Washington Post, NPR, NY Daily News, Time Magazine, and several international news sources.
Society and Professional Memberships
• American Society for Reproductive Medicine
• American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
• American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
• American College of Physicians
• Association of Women Surgeons
• American Medical Association
Hipp H, Crawford S, Kawwass JF, Boulet SL, Grainger DA, Kissin DM, Jamieson D. National trends and outcomes of autologous in vitro fertilization cycles among women ages 40 and older. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2017 Apr 28. doi: 10.1007//s10815/017-0926-2. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28455751
Kawwass JF, Sanders KM, Loucks TL, Rohan LC, Berga SL. Increased cerebrospinal fluid levels of GABA, testosterone and estradiol in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Hum Reprod. 2017 Apr 27:1-7. doi: 10.1093/humrep/dex086. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28453773
Martin AS, Chang J, Zhang Y, Kawwass JF, Boulet SL, McKane P, Bernson D, Kissin DM, Jamieson DJ; States Monitoring Assisted Reproductive Technology (SMART) Collaborative. Perinatal outcomes among singletons after assisted reproductive technology with single-embryo or double-embryo transfer versus no assisted reproductive technology. Fertil Steril. 2017 Mar 11. pii: S0015-0282(17)30215-7. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2017.01.024. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28292615
Crawford S, Boulet SL, Kawwass JF, Jamieson DJ, Kissin DM. Cryopreserved oocyte versus fresh oocyte assisted reproductive technology cycles, United States, 2013. Fertil Steril. 2017 Jan;107(1):110-118. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2016.10.002. Epub 2016 Nov 11. PMID: 27842997
Kawwass JF, Kulkarni AD, Hipp HS, Crawford S, Kissin DM, Jamieson DJ. Extremities of body mass index and their association with pregnancy outcomes in women undergoing in vitro fertilization in the United States. Fertil Steril. 2016 Sep 22. pii: S0015-0282(16)62725-5. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2016.08.028. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27666564
Schirmer DA, Kawwass JF. Epidemiology, Virology, and Pathogenesis of the Zika Virus: From Neglected Tropical Disease to a Focal Point of International Attention. Semin Reprod Med. 2016 Sep 12. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27618294
Martin AS, Monsour M, Kawwass JF, Boulet SL, Kissin DM, Jamieson DJ. Risk of Preeclampsia in Pregnancies after Assisted Reproductive Technology and Ovarian Stimulation. Matern Child Health J. 2016 Jul 11. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27400915
Kawwass JF, Crawford S, Hipp HS, Boulet SL, Kissin DM, Jamieson DJ, National ART Surveillance System (NASS) group. Embryo Donation: National Trends and Outcomes, 2000-2013. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016 Jul 5. pii: S002-9378(16)30395-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2016.06.050. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27393270
Petersen EE, Polen KN, Meaney-Delman D, Ellington SR, Oduyebo T, Cohn A, Oster AM, Russell K, Kawwass JF, Karwowski MP, Powers AM, Bertolli J, Brooks JT, Kissin D, Villanueva J, Muñoz-Jordan J, Kuehnert M, Olson CK, Honein MA, Rivera M, Jamieson DJ, Rasmussen SA. Update: Interim Guidance for Health Care Providers Caring for Women of Reproductive Age with Possible Zika Virus Exposure – United States, 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016 Apr 1;65(12):315-322. doi: 10.15585/mmwr.mm6512e2. PMID: 27031943
Hipp H, Crawford S, Kawwass JF, Chang J, Kissin DM, Jamieson DJ. First trimester pregnancy loss after fresh and frozen in vitro fertilization cycles. Fertil Steril. 2016 Mar;105(3):722-8. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2015.11.012. Epub 2015 Nov 25. PMID: 26627121
Kawwass JF, Summer R, Kallen CB. Direct Effects of Leptin and Adiponectin on Peripheral Reproductive Tissues: A Critical Review. Mol Hum Reprod. 2015 Aug;21(8):617-32. doi: 10.1093/molehr/gav025. Epub 2015 May 11. Review. PMID: 25964237
Kawwass JF, Crawford S, Session DR, Kissin DM, Jamieson DJ; National ART Surveillance System Group. Endometriosis and Assisted Reproductive Technology: United States Trends and Outcomes 2000-2011. Fertil Steril. 2015 Apr 14. pii: S0015-0282(15)00171-5. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2015.03.003. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25881877
Boulet SL, Mehta A, Kissin DM, Warner L, Kawwass JF, Jamieson DJ. Trends in Use of and Reproductive Outcomes Associated with Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection. JAMA. 2015 Jan 20;313(3):255-263. doi: 10.1001/jama.2014.17985. PMID: 25602996
Kawwass JF, Kissin DM, Kulkarni AD, Creanga AA, Session DR, Callaghan WM, Jamieson DJ; for the National ART Surveillance System (NASS) Group. Safety of Assisted Reproductive Technology in the United States, 2000-2011. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). 2015 Jan 6;313(1):88-90. doi: 10.1001/jama.2014.14488. PMID: 25562272
Kissin, D, J. Kawwass, M. Monsour, S. Boulet, D. Session, D. Jamieson. “Assisted Hatching: Trends and Perinatal Outcomes.” Fertility and Sterility. 2014. DOI: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2014.06.013.
Kanter JR, Boulet SL, Kawwass JF, Jamieson DJ, Kissin DM. Trends and correlates of monozygotic twinning after single embryo transfer. Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Jan;125(1):111-7. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000000579. PMID: 25560112
Kawwass, J. and C. Kallen. Obesity, Inflammation, and Reproduction. Invited Review for Molecular Human Reproduction. In Prep.
Grow, D, Kawwass J, Kulkarni AD, Durant T, Jamieson DJ, Macaluso M. “GnRH-agonist versus antagonist ovarian stimulation protocols: a comparison of outcomes among good prognosis patients using national surveillance data.” Reprod Biomed Online. 2014 Sep;29(3):299-304. doi: 10.1016/j.rbmo.2014.05.007. Epub 2014 Jun 12. PMID: 25043892.
Kawwass, J., M. Monsour, S. Crawford, A. Kulkarni, D. Session, D. Kissin, D Jamieson. “Donor oocyte: trends and predictors of good perinatal outcome.” Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), 310 (22): 2426-34; 2013.
Kawwass, J., D. Kissin, S. Boulet, D.Session. “In Reply: Tubal factor infertility and perinatal risk after assisted reproductive technology, Letter to the Editor.” ObstetricsandGynecology. 122 (4): 909-910; 2013.
Kawwass, J., S Crawford, D Kissin, D Session, S Boulet, D Jamieson. “Tubal factor infertility and perinatal risk after assisted reproductive technology.”Obstetrics and Gynecology. 121 (6): 1263-71; 2013.
Kawwass, J., T. Loucks, and S. Berga. An algorithm for treatment of infertile women with polycystic ovary syndrome. 2010. Middle East Fertility Society Journal. 15 (4); 231-239; 2010.
Satpathy, H., J. Kawwass, and M. Lindsay. Novel H1N1 virus infection and pregnancy. Postgraduate Medicine. 121 (6): 106-112; 2009.
Lindsay, Michael K, S. Weiss, S. Daudi, S, J. Kawwass. Cranial hemorrhage in late pregnancy. Gynecology and Obstetrics Case Studies: Emory Healthcare Periodical. September 2009.
Kawwass, J. and C. Roberts. Leiomyomatous uteri and myomectomy.” TeLinde’s Operative Gynecology. Wolters Kluwer Health. In Press.
Session, D and J. Kawwass. “Ultrasound guided operative procedures.” Ultrasound Imaging in Reproductive Medicine: Advances in Infertility Work-up, Treatment and ART. Springer. In Press.
Kawwass, J. “Ch 39 - The risks associated with multiple gestation” Avoiding Common Obstetrics and Gynecology Errors. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. Philadelphia, PA. 2011.
Kawwass, J. “Ch 40 – I am pregnant with triplets: what are my options?” Avoiding Common Obstetrics and Gynecology Errors. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. Philadelphia, PA. 2011.
Kawwass, J. ed. Emory Intern Survival Guide. 2nd ed, Handbook residents, off-service rotators. July 2010.
Kawwass, J. Obstetrics and Gynecology Chapter. ICU Recall 3rd Ed, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2008.
Poster Presentations and Oral Presentations
Kissin, D, J. Kawwass, M. Monsour, S. Boulet, D. Session, D. Jamieson. “Assisted Hatching: Trends and Perinatal Outcomes.” In Prep. Accepted. ESHRE. Poster. Munich. June 2014.
Kanter, J., S. Boulet, J.Kawwass, D.Jamieson, D.Kissin. “Trends and Correlates of Monozygotic Twinning after Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART).” Oral Presentation. ACOG Annual Clinical Meeting. April 2014. Chicago.
Kawwass, J., M. Monsour, S. Crawford, A. Kulkarni, D. Session, D.Kissin, D Jamieson. “Donor oocyte: trends and predictors of good perinatal outcome.” Poster presented ASRM. October 2013. Boston.
Kawwass, J., S Crawford, D Kissin, D Session, S Boulet, D Jamieson. “Tubal factor infertility and perinatal risk after in vitro fertilization.”Accepted Obstetrics and Gynecology March 2013. Poster presented at ESHRE. July 7-10. London. Awarded Clinical Science Award.
Kawwass, J. , T. Loucks, and S. Berga. “Do Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Have Increased Aromatase Activity?” Society of Gynecologic Investigation. March 2011. Poster presented.
Kawwass, J. “Incorporating Management of Early Pregnancy Failure into an Obstetric and Gynecologic Residency Program.” Emory School of Medicine. Science of GME Poster Presentation. Atlanta, GA 2011.