Kurt Martinuzzi, MD
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, General Ob/Gyn
Office: Emory Clinic Building A, 4th Floor, Emory University Campus
Medical Education: Wayne State University School of Medicine, MD, 1986
Residency: University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1990
American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1992
Areas of Interest
• Recurrent pregnancy loss
• Medical and surgical management of abnormal uterine bleeding
• Premature ovarian failure
• High risk obstetrics
• Resident and medical student education
Awards and Honors
• Excellence in Teaching, Teaching on Labor and Delivery, Emory Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2017
• Mom-Approved Doctor, Atlanta Parent Magazine, 2016
• Excellence in Teaching: Obstetrics at Emory, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
• Excellence in Overall Support and Mentorship, 2015
• American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists CREOG National Faculty Award, Emory University Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2012
• American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists CREOG National Faculty Award, Oakwood Hospital and Medical Center, 2010, 2009
• American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists CREOG National Faculty Award, Mt. Sinai Hospital and Queens Hospital Center, 2008, 2005, 2002
• Air Force Commendation Medal, First Oak Leaf Cluster for Meritorious Service, Luke AFB, 1994
• Air Force Commendation Medal for Meritorious Service, Shaw AFB, 1992
• National Defense Ribbon, 1991
Society and Professional Memberships
• American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
• Atlanta Obstetrical and Gynecological Society
• Georgia Obstetrical and Gynecological Society
Publications and Presentations
Shulman RW, Ault KA, Martinuzzi K. Life-threatening hemorrhage in a 43 year-old female due to ruptured ectopic with a concurrent intrauterine pregnancy. Presentation at the 77th Annual Meeting of the South Atlantic Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologist, Jan 2015. Asheboro, North Carolina
Park B, Collins E, Martinuzzi K. Life Threatening Aortic Regurgitation Requiring Emergency Aortic Valve Replacement in Pregnancy. Presentation at the 76th Annual Meeting of the South Atlantic Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologist, Jan 2014. Lake Bueno Vista, Florida
Lange A, Martinuzzi K. Spontaneous Uterine Artery Rupture after Minimal Maternal Effort in Labor. Oral Presentation at the 75th Annual Meeting of the South Atlantic Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologist. Jan 2013. White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia
Eliyahu E, Shtraizent N, Martinuzzi K, Barritt J, He X, Wei H, Chaubal S, Copperman AB, Schuchman EH: Acid ceramidase improves the quality of oocytes and embryos and the outcome of in vitro fertilization. FASEB J. 2010;24:1229-1238.
Martinuzzi K, Ryan S, Luna M, Copperman AB: Elevated Body Mass Index (BMI) Does Not Adversely Affect In Vitro Fertilization Outcome in Young Women. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2008;25(5):169-75.
Martinuzzi K, Copperman AB: Oocyte Cryopreservation for Elective Preservation of Reproductive Potential. Current Women's Health Reviews; 2007(3):209-215.
NIH funded research - Identification of Herpes Simplex Virus shedding in the female genital tract. DMID Protocol Number :11-0070. Collaborative Ped - Gyn/Ob study 2014-2018.
NIH funded VTEU Maternal Breastfeeding Influenza Study, 2011-2013
Vaccine and Treatment Evaluation Unit Agency Award Number: HHSN272200800005 PI: Mulligan,Mark Joseph NIH funded research evaluating Flumist and Fluzone in lactating women. Recruitment period 2011 and 2012.