Jennifer Goedken, MD
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, General Ob/Gyn
Medical Student Clerkship
Chief of the Gynecology Section, Surgical and Perioperative Care Service Line
Veterans Administration Medical Center
Office: VA Medical Center
Phone: 404-329-2222, Press 4, then Press 2 for Women's Wellness Clinic
Education & Training
Medical Education: University of Wisconsin Medical School, MD, 1996
Residency: University of Massachusetts Medical School, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2000
American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2002
Areas of Interest
• General gynecology
• Cervical dysplasia
• Medical student and resident education
• Ethics in women's health
• Global health education programs
Awards and Honors
• APGO Excellence in Teaching Award, 2011
• APGO Surgical Scholars Program, Module 1: Hysteroscopy
• APGO Excellence in Teaching Award, 2004
• Excellence in Teaching Award from Senior Class, Emory University School of Medicine, 2003
• Awarded the Best Run Clinical Clerkship, Emory University School of Medicine, 2003
• Emory University School of Medicine Dean’s Teaching Award, 2002
• APGO/Solvay Educational Scholar, 2003, 2002
Society and Professional Memberships
• American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
• Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics
• Georgia Obstetrical and Gynecological Society
• Atlanta Obstetrical and Gynecological Society
Guarner J, Winkler AM, Flowers L, Hill CE, Ellis JE, Workowski K, Reid MD, Goedken J. Development, Implementation, and Evaluation of an Interdisciplinary Women’s Health and Laboratory Course. Am J Clin Pathol. 2016 Sep;146(3):369-72. doi: 10.1093/ajcp/aqw120. PMID: 27498758
Kress CM, Sharling L, Owen-Smith AA, Desalegn D, Blumberg HM, Goedken J. Knowledge, attitudes, and practices regarding cervical cancer and screening among Ethiopian health care workers. Int J Womens Health. 2015 Jul 31;7:-765-72. doi: 10.2147/IJWH.S85138. eCollection 2015.
Goedken J. Vaccinations in Pregnancy. Postgraduate Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2011; 31(7):1-8.
Goedken J. Pelvic Examinations Under Anesthesia: An Important Teaching Tool. Journal of Health Care Law and Policy. 2005; 8 (2):232-5.
Goedken J, Rock JA. Uterine fibroids: epidemiology and an overview. In: Tulandi T (ed). Uterine Fibroids. Embolization and Other Treatments. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. Chapter 1, pp 1‑10, 2003.
University of Wisconsin Department of Family Medicine 1995, Co-authored article, “Student and Faculty Collaboration in Developing a Clinic for the Medically Underserved”, Family Medicine, 1996; 28(8):570-4.
State Medical Society of Wisconsin 1993, Conducted research and produced pamphlet, “Good Samaritan laws in Wisconsin.”
Peace Corps Thailand 1992, Assisted in the production of “AIDS Resource Manual: A Guide for Teaching about AIDS in Thailand,” currently used by Peace Corps Volunteers in Thailand.
AIDS Division, Ministry of Public Health, Thailand 1991-1992, Designed and conducted a study to assess condom use among commercial sex workers in Ratchaburi, Thailand, Co-authored article, “Lubrication use in condom promotion among commercial sex workers and their clients in Ratchaburi, Thailand”, Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, 1995, Vol. 78, No. 7 p 350-354.