Penny Castellano, MD
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Gynecologic Specialties
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Vice Chair of Clinical Affairs
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Chief Medical Officer for Clinical Operations
The Emory Clinic
Chief Quality Officer
The Emory Clinic
Office: Emory Clinic Building A, 4th Floor, Emory University Campus
Education & Training
Medical Education: Emory University School of Medicine, MD, 1985
Residency: Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1989
American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1991 (Recertified and maintained in 1999 and 2011, respectively)
Areas of Interest
• Menopause and its impact on the health of the female patient, with particular interest in the cardiac and the central nervous system effects of estrogen
• Electronic health information technology and its impact on healthcare delivery and health outcomes
• Healthcare delivery and quality, safety and reliability in healthcare
Awards and Honors
• Atlanta Magazine Top Doctors, 1999-present
• Best Doctors in America®, 2001-present
• Blue Ribbon Abstract: Isham KD, Dolan MS, Castellano, PZ, Berga SL, Interventions of a Dedicated Obstetric Rapid Response Team: Four Years of Experience. Oral Poster Presentation, Annual Clinical Meeting of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Washington, DC. 2011
• Interdisciplinary Team Award, Emory Healthcare, 2009
Society & Professional Memberships
• American Medical Association
• Georgia Obstetrical and Gynecological Society
• Medical Association of Georgia
• Medical Association of Atlanta
• Fellow, The American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecologists
• Association of Professors of Obstetrics and Gynecology
• American Society of Reproductive Medicine
• Atlanta Obstetrical and Gynecological Society
• Association of American Medical Colleges
• North American Menopause Society
• American College of Physicians Executives
• Women's Health Research Coalition
• American Medical Informatics Association
• Cerner Physician Community (Healthcare Leadership User Group)
• University Health System Consortium Ambulatory Care Council Faculty
Practice Solutions Center
• CMO Group Member, Association of American Medical Colleges
• Healthcare Information Management Systems Society
Ribner BS, Hall C, Steinberg JP, Bornstein WA, Chakkalakal R, Emamifar A, Eichel I, Lee P, Castellano PZ, Grossman GD. Use of a mandatory declination form in a program for influenza vaccination of healthcare workers. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008 Apr;29(4):302-8.
Castellano PZ, Wenger NK, Graves WL. Adherence to screening guidelines for breast and cervical cancer in postmenopausal women with coronary heart disease: an ancillary study of volunteers for HERS. J Womens Health Gend Based Med. 2001 Jun;10(5):451-61.
Santanam N, Shern-Brewer R, McClatchey R, Castellano PZ, Murphy AA, Voelkel S, Parthasarathy S. Estradiol as an antioxidant: incompatible with its physiological concentrations and function. J Lipid Res. 1998 Nov;39(11):2111-8.
Osborn LM, Sostok M, Castellano PZ, Blount W, Branch WT Jr. Recruiting and retaining clinician-educators. Lessons learned from three programs. J Gen Intern Med 1997 Apr;12 Suppl 2:S83-9.
Majmudar B, Castellano PZ, Wilson RW, Siegel RG. Granular cell tumors of the vulva. J Reprod Med. 1990 Nov;35(11):1008-14.
Castellano PZ, and Murphy AA. RU486 and the gynecology patient. Advances in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vol 2. Rock JA, Faro S, Gant NF, Horowitz IR, Murphy AA, editors. Chicago, IL: Mosby-Year Book, Inc, 1995;179-191.
Murphy AA, and Castellano PZ. RU486: pharmacology and potential use in the treatment of endometriosis and leiomyomata uteri. Current Science LTD. 1994;6:269-78.
Castellano, PZ. Sometimes hot = FSH; Can my mechanic fix this vasomotor symptom? Avoiding Common Obstetrics and Gynecology Errors. Roberts CP and Broomfield DP, editors. Philadelphia PA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2010;1-2.
Esper G and Castellano PZ. Health Information Technology and the five stages of grief: tips on overcoming reluctant adoption. Submitted to The Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (October 10, 2011; amiajnl-2011-000634). Under review
Manuals, videos, computer programs, and other teaching aids
EeMR (Emory Electronic Medical Records) Simulations. Developed with Katie Smith (Emory Healthcare Information Services project director) and EeMR Team, used for training throughout organization. Emory Healthcare, 2003-present.
Interactive CD-Rom and patient education in menopause and its medical management. Developed and produced by the Emory University School of Medicine; supported by an unrestricted educational grant from Wyeth-Ayerst, 2004.
Under review: The Emory Clinic Four Pillars of Ambulatory Care Management: Discovered Here, Experienced Here, Taught Here. Castellano PZ (contributor and primary contact). Submitted September 30, 2011to AAMC for consideration for posting on the iCollaborative website (“centralized online resource that is focused on highlighting and sharing innovations spanning medical education, health care delivery, and research”).
Oral Poster Presentation: Isham KD, Dolan MS, Castellano PZ, Berga SL, Interventions of a Dedicated Obstetric Rapid Response Team: Four Years of Experience. Annual Clinical Meeting of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Washington DC, 2011. Blue Ribbon Abstract.
Poster: (contributor). The Emory Clinic Program and Functional Structure: The Four Pillars of Ambulatory Care Management. Presented at the American College of Healthcare Executives Congress. Chicago, IL; March 2010
Poster: (contributor). The Emory Clinic Program and Functional Structure: Discovered Here, Experienced Here, Taught Here; Implementing an Ambulatory Care Framework. Presented at University HealthSystem Consortium Faculty Practice Solutions Center Users Group Meeting. Tampa, FLA; June 2009. First Place Poster Presentation Award.
UHC-AAMC Staff, et al., Castellano P (contributor). Faculty practice solutions center issue brief. Physician Quality Reporting Initiative, 2009.
Abstract: Santanam N, Shern R, McClatchey R, Castellano PZ, Parthasarathy S. Enhancement of peroxidase mediated low density lipoprotein oxidation by estradiol: a possible mechanism in protection against atherosclerosis. Presented at the Annual Meeting of The Oxygen Society, 1995.
Poster Presentation: Cobbs M, Castellano PZ, Graves W. A review of neonatal outcome in shoulder dystocia. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, District IV Annual Meeting, 1992.
Abstract: Savage L, Castellano PZ. Karman Cannula vs. Pipelle: a comparison of outpatient biopsy methods. Presented at the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, District IV Annual Meeting, 1992.
Abstract: Castellano PZ, Randall H, Graves W. The prediction of shoulder dystocia by perinatal risk factors. Presented at the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, District IV Annual Meeting, 1991.
Hatcher RA, Guest F, Stewart F, Stewart GK, Trussell J, Bowen SC, Cates W, et al., and Castellano PZ (contributor). Contraceptive Technology. 1988-1989.