General Obstetrics & Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Clerkship
Chief of the Gynecology Section, Surgical
Medical Education: University of Wisconsin Medical School, MD, 1996
Residency: University of Massachusetts Medical School, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2000
Certifications: American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2002
• American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
• Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics
• Georgia Obstetrical and Gynecological Society
• Atlanta Obstetrical and Gynecological Society
• APGO Excellence in Teaching Award, 2011
• APGO Surgical Scholars Program, Module 1: Hysteroscopy
• APGO Excellence in Teaching Award, 2004
• Excellence in Teaching Award from Senior Class, Emory University School of Medicine, 2003
• Awarded the Best Run Clinical Clerkship, Emory University School of Medicine, 2003
• Emory University School of Medicine Dean’s Teaching Award, 2002
• APGO/Solvay Educational Scholar, 2003, 2002
VA Medical Center
Department of Gynecology & Obstetrics
• General gynecology
• Cervical dysplasia
• Medical student and resident education
• Ethics in women's health
• Global health education programs
Guarner J, Winkler AM, Flowers L, Hill CE, Ellis JE, Workowski K, Reid MD, Goedken J. Development, Implementation, and Evaluation of an Interdisciplinary Women’s Health and Laboratory Course. Am J Clin Pathol. 2016 Aug 7. pii:aqw120. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27498758
Kress CM, Sharling L, Owen-Smith AA, Desalegn D, Blumberg HM, Goedken J. Knowledge, attitudes, and practices regarding cervical cancer and screening among Ethiopian health care workers. Int J Womens Health. 2015 Jul 31;7:-765-72. doi: 10.2147/IJWH.S85138. eCollection 2015.
Goedken J. Vaccinations in Pregnancy. Postgraduate Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2011; 31(7):1-8.
Goedken J. Pelvic Examinations Under Anesthesia: An Important Teaching Tool. Journal of Health Care Law and Policy. 2005; 8 (2):232-5.
Goedken J, Rock JA. Uterine fibroids: epidemiology and an overview. In: Tulandi T (ed). Uterine Fibroids. Embolization and Other Treatments. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. Chapter 1, pp 1‑10, 2003.
University of Wisconsin Department of Family Medicine 1995, Co-authored article, “Student and Faculty Collaboration in Developing a Clinic for the Medically Underserved”, Family Medicine, 1996; 28(8):570-4.
State Medical Society of Wisconsin 1993, Conducted research and produced pamphlet, “Good Samaritan laws in Wisconsin.”
Peace Corps Thailand 1992, Assisted in the production of “AIDS Resource Manual: A Guide for Teaching about AIDS in Thailand,” currently used by Peace Corps Volunteers in Thailand.
AIDS Division, Ministry of Public Health, Thailand 1991-1992, Designed and conducted a study to assess condom use among commercial sex workers in Ratchaburi, Thailand, Co-authored article, “Lubrication use in condom promotion among commercial sex workers and their clients in Ratchaburi, Thailand”, Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, 1995, Vol. 78, No. 7 p 350-354.