Medical Director, Emory Regional Perinatal Center, Grady Memorial Hospital
Graduate Education: Georgia Institute of Technology, PhD, 1986
Medical Education: Emory University School of Medicine, MD, 1996
Residency: Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2001
Fellowship: Emory University School of Medicine, Maternal-Fetal Medicine, 2005
• American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Obstetrics and Gynecology,
• American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maternal-Fetal Medicine,
• American Association for the Advancement of Science
• Fellow, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
• Associate, American College of Surgeons
• American Psychological Association
• American Society of Primatologists
• Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine
• Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society
• NIH Travel Award for presentation to the International Federation of
Placenta Association, Vienna, Austria, September 2008.
• Award of Research Excellence. Twenty-Seventh Annual Meeting of the
Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, San Francisco, “Fetal cord blood
mononuclear cells collected at term from HIV-1 infected women harbor
transcriptionally active integrated proviral DNA.” February 2007.
Grady Memorial Hospital
• Infectious diseases and emerging pathogens in pregnancy
• HIV and perinatal outcomes
• Impact of fetal fibronectin on management of preterm delivery
• Autoimmune mechanisms in peripartum cardiomyopathy
• Impact of cerclage on preterm delivery
• Perinatal outcomes in women with abnormal serum screens
• Cellular signaling and activation of HIV replication
• Placental physiology and pathology
Guarner J, Winkler AM, Flowers L, Hill CE, Ellis JE, Workowski K, Reid MD, Goedken J. Development, Implementation, and Evaluation of an Interdisciplinary Women’s Health and Laboratory Course. Am J Clin Pathol. 2016 Aug 7. pii:aqw120. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27498758
Platner M, Loucks TL, Lindsay MK, Ellis JE. Pregnancy-Associated Deaths in Rural, Nonrural and Metropolitan Areas of Georgia. Obstet Gynecol. 2016 Jun 7. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27275792
Martin A, Krishna I, Ellis J, Paccione R, Badell M. Super obesity in pregnancy: difficulties in clinical management. Journal of PerinatologyJ Perinatol. 2014 Feb 6. doi: 10.1038/jp.2014.4. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24503915
Ellis JE, Lindsay MK, Sundstrom B. Placental tissues from HIV-1 infected women harbor virally-infected mast cells and macrophages: potential role in vertical transmission of perinatal HIV infection. John D. Thompson Resident Research Day and Thirty-ninth Annual Clinical topics in Gynecology and Obstetrics, Atlanta, Georgia, May 2005.
Ellis JE, Ansari AA, Fett JD, Carraway RD, Randall HW, Mosunjac MI, Sundstron JB. Inhibition of progenitor dendritic cell maturation by plasma from peripartum cardiomyopathy patients but not parity and age matched normal pregnancy control plasma. Clinical and Developmental Immunology, June 2005, (In Press).
Jamieson DJ, Jernigan DB, Ellis JE, Treadwell TA. Emerging infections and pregnancy: West Nile Virus, Monkey Pox, Severe Acute respiratory syndrome and bio-terrorism. Clinics in Perinatology 2005 (In Press).
Jamieson DJ, Ellis JE, Jernigan DB, Treadwell TA. Emerging infectious disease outbreaks: Old lessons and new challenges for obstetrician-gynecologists. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2005 (In Press).
Sundstrom JB, Little DM, Villinger F, Ellis JE, Ansari AA. Signaling through toll-like receptors triggers HIV-1 replication in latently infected mast cells. Journal of Immunology 2004;172(7)4391-4401.