Interim Director of the Emory Clinic and Interim Physician Group President, Emory Healthcare
Executive Associate Dean of Faculty Affairs and Professional Development, Emory University School of Medicine
Medical Education: Baylor College of Medicine, MD, 1980
Residency: Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1984
Fellowship: Gynecologic Oncology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 1987
Graduate Education: Harvard School of Public Health, SM, 2004
• American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1988
• American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gynecologic Oncology, 1989
• The American Medical Association
• Mid-Atlantic Gynecologic Oncology Society
• Southern Medical Association
• Fellow, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
• American Society of Clinical Oncology
• Society of Gynecologic Oncologists
• Fellow, American College of Surgeons
• Georgia Obstetrical and Gynecological Society
• Johns Hopkins OB/GYN Alumni Howard A. Kelly Society
• Atlanta Obstetrical and Gynecological Society
• Georgia Chapter of the American College of Surgeons
• Society of Gynecologic Surgeons
• International Gynecologic Society
• Society of Surgical Oncology
• World Endometriosis Society
• International Gynecologic Cancer Society
• Top Doctors, Atlanta Magazine, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
• Top Doctors, US News and World Report
• Excellence in Teaching Award, Association of Professors in Gynecology and Obstetrics, 1997
Emory Clinic, Emory University Campus
Emory Women's Center at Emory Saint Joseph's
Emory University School of Medicine
• Endometrial cancer
• Ovarian cancer
• Vulvar cancer
• Uterine cancer
• Fallopian tube cancer
• Vaginal cancer
• Gestational trophoblastic cancer
• Minimally invasive surgery
• Laparoscopic surgery
• Epidemiology and treatment of cervical cancer
• Etiology and treatment of ovarian cancer
• Screening and treatment of gynecologic cancer
• HPV and its role in urogenital tumors
Khanna N, Rauh LA, Lachiewicz MP, Horowitz IR. Margins for Cervical and Vulvar Cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2016 Mar;113(3):304-9. doi: 10.1002/jso.24108. Epub 2016 Feb 8. Review. PMID: 26852901
Zhou A, Winkler A, Emamifar A, Gartland B, Duncan A, Antun A, Arellano M, Tindol GA, Levy JH, Bornstein WA, Horowitz IR, Khoury HJ. Is the incidence of Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia Affected by the Increased Use of Heparin for the Prevention of Deep Venous Thrombosis? CHEST 2012:142(5):1175-1178. PMID: 22539642.
Gargano JW, Nisenbaum R, Lee DR, Ruffin MT 4th, Steinau M, Horowitz IR, Flowers LC, Tadros TS, Birdsong G, Unger ER. Age-group differences in human papillomavirus types and cofactors for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia 3 among women referred to colposcopy. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2012 Jan;21(1):111-21. Epub 2011 Oct 25.
Khanna N, Horowitz IR. Controversies in the management of advanced ovarian cancer. Oncology (Williston Park). 2011 Sep;25(10):934, 937.
Skates SJ, Mai P, Horick NK, Piedmonte M, Drescher CW, Isaacs C, Armstrong DK, Buys SS, Rodriguez GC, Horowitz IR, Berchuck A, Daly MB, Domchek S, Cohn DE, Van Le L, Schorge JO, Newland W, Davidson SA, Barnes M, Brewster W, Azodi M, Nerenstone S, Kauff ND, Fabian CJ, Sluss PM, Nayfield SG, Kasten CH, Finkelstein DM, Greene MH, Lu K. Large prospective study of ovarian cancer screening in high-risk women: CA125 cut-point defined by menopausal status. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2011 Sep;4(9):1401-8.
Tan X, Sidell N, Mancini A, Huang RP, Shenming Wang, Horowitz IR, Liotta DC, Taylor RN, Wieser F. Multiple anticancer activities of EF24, a novel curcumin analog, on human ovarian carcinoma cells. Reprod Sci. 2010 Oct;17(10):931-40. Epub 2010 Aug 6.
Fleming GF, Sill MW, Darcy KM, McMeekin DS, Thigpen JT, Adler LM, Berek JS, Chapman JA, DiSilvestro PA, Horowitz IR, Fiorica JV. Phase II trial of trastuzumab in women with advanced or recurrent, HER2-positive endometrial carcinoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Gynecol Oncol. 2010 Jan;116(1):15-20. Epub 2009 Oct 18.
Horowitz Ira R. Female Genital System. Eds Wood WC; Staley CA; Skadalakis JE. Anatomic Basis of Tumor Surgery, Second Edition, 637-680 DOI: 10.1007/978-3-540-74177-0_14. 2010.
Rossi PJ, Horowitz IR, Johnstone PA, Jani AB. Lymphadenectomy for patients with cervical cancer: is it of value? J Surg Oncol. 2009 Oct 1;100(5):404-6.
Madden K, Flowers L, Salani R, Horowitz I, Logan S, Kowalski K, Xie J, Mohammed SI. Proteomics-based approach to elucidate the mechanism of antitumor effect of curcumin in cervical cancer. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2009 Jan;80(1):9-18. Epub 2008 Dec 5.
Rossi PJ, Jani AB, Horowitz IR, Johnstone PA. Adjuvant brachytherapy removes survival disadvantage of local disease extension in stage IIIC endometrial cancer: a SEER registry analysis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008 Jan 1;70(1):134-8. Epub 2007 Sep 12.